Fredericksburg Divorce Attorney
Child Custody Lawyer
At Barlow & Thomas, P.C., our attorneys bring over two decades of practice experience to people throughout central Virginia. We combine a detailed approach with a calm demeanor, taking the time to carefully examine all aspects of your situation while helping you relax, confident that your legal concerns are being addressed.
An Overview of Our Practice
We provide comprehensive counsel to people with legal concerns involving:
- Personal bankruptcy—We focus our bankruptcy practice exclusively on petitions under Chapter 7. We will help you determine whether you qualify to permanently discharge assets under Chapter 7, and will help you understand which debts can be discharged and what property you can keep. We will prepare and file all necessary documentation during the process and be your advocate with creditors, the court and the bankruptcy trustee.
- Family law—We protect the rights of men and women at all stages of a divorce, from the initial filing through requests for custody, visitation or child support enforcement or modification. We handle all matters related to or arising out of divorce, including child custody and visitation, child support, alimony or spousal support, and the equitable division of marital property. We also handle adoption proceedings, paternity actions, legal separations, annulments and grandparents’ rights.
- Estate planning—We will help you evaluate the different options for ensuring the orderly distribution of your assets upon death. We will also prepare and execute the necessary documents to put your estate plan in place, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney, health care agents, advance medical directives, conservatorships and living wills.
Our law firm provides these additional services for our clients:
- Business & Commercial Law —We advise and represent individuals and small businesses in various business-related matters, including the establishment, protection, and growth of their businesses. Also, we advise clients as to which type of business entity would be most beneficial of them to become. We assist our clients in enforcing contracts, and and negotiating, preparing and reviewing business agreements.
- Business Organizations — We assist clients in forming businesses by reviewing their objectives, then recommending the most suitable business entity, whether that be a limited or general partnership, a limited liability company, or a Corporation. We have the experience and business knowledge to guide you through each phase in the development and operation of your company.
- Debt Collections — We provide debt and judgment collection services for both businesses and individuals. Our firm is well versed in the area of debt collection and follows the guidelines of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). We employ various methods to collect on monetary judgments, including bank and wage garnishments, writs of execution, attachments and liens.